Doughnuts, those delicious rings of fried dough, are a beloved treat enjoyed by people of all ages. While you can easily pick up a box of doughnuts from a bakery or a store, making them at home can be a rewarding and fun culinary adventure. In this article, Trending Impact will guide you through the process of making doughnuts from scratch, so you can enjoy these sweet delights right in your own kitchen.
Ingredients You Will Need To Make Donuts At Home
For the Doughnuts:
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110°F/43°C)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110°F/43°C)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the Glaze (Optional):
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Equipment You Will Need To Make Donuts At Home
- Deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pot
- Candy or deep-fry thermometer
- Rolling pin
- Doughnut cutter or two differently sized round cutters
- Wire rack
Instructions On How To Make Donuts At Home
1) Activate the Yeast
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it becomes frothy. This indicates that the yeast is active.
2) Make the Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm milk, sugar, melted butter, salt, and eggs.
- Add the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
- Gradually add the flour and mix until a soft dough forms.
3) Knead the Dough
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it for about 5 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
4) First Rise
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
5) Roll and Cut the Dough
- After the dough has risen, roll it out on a floured surface to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Use a doughnut cutter or two round cutters of different sizes to cut out your doughnuts. You can also use a glass for the larger circle and a small bottle cap for the smaller hole in the center.
6) Second Rise
- Place the cut doughnuts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
7) Heat the Oil
- While the doughnuts are rising, heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or a heavy-bottomed pot to 350°F (175°C). Use a candy or deep-fry thermometer to monitor the temperature.
8) Fry the Doughnuts
- Carefully place a few doughnuts in the hot oil, being cautious not to overcrowd the pot.
- Fry each side for 1-2 minutes, or until they turn golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to flip them over.
9) Drain and Cool
- Remove the fried doughnuts from the oil and place them on a wire rack to drain any excess oil and cool.
10. Glaze (Optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until you have a smooth glaze.
- Dip the cooled doughnuts into the glaze, allowing any excess to drip off.
- You can also decorate your doughnuts with sprinkles, chocolate chips, or chopped nuts while the glaze is still wet.
11) Enjoy Your Homemade Donuts
Allow the glaze to set for a few minutes, and then enjoy your homemade doughnuts with a cup of coffee or a glass of cold milk!
Making doughnuts at home is a delightful and rewarding experience. You can customize them with your favorite glazes and toppings, and share the joy of freshly made doughnuts with family and friends.
So, roll up your sleeves, get your ingredients ready, and start creating these delectable treats in your very own kitchen. Happy baking!